Thursday, July 9, 2009

Full Court Pressure Dedications


Since this is my first blog, I would like to dedicate this initial entry to Coach Peterson-Abiad (shown cutting down the net as C.S.U. won the Horizon Conference Championship in 2008), Head Women's Basketball Coach at Cleveland State University. I knew getting into the Fraternity of coaching at the Division 1 level was difficult, but didn't know it was going to be THAT difficult. Coach "P' has decided to take a chance on me and mentor me on what it takes to succeed at this level. I'm currently at the bottom of the totem pole, but she has created a position (which I will state in another blog) where I can learn from her and the coaching staff and show them the qualities I will bring to the table. I'm grateful for the opportunity and will not disappoint, because this is a definite career move on my part and I'm learning you get one chance at this level and those who know me, knows that I always take "the bull by the horns." So again, thank you Coach P, Coach McAndrews, Coach Wright, Coach Del Rosario, Coach Korth, and the Lady Vikings for the opportunity.

I also have to thank Coach Bowe (Head Men's Coach at Lakeland Community College) and Coach Nate Barnes (former Lakeland Assistant Women's Basketball Coach) for mentoring and preparing me for coaching at the collegiate level, Coach Willis Brown (formerly #1 Assistant Coach at Ohio University) for the advice and mentoring that started at the 2009 W.B.C.A. Convention in St. Louis on up to now, Coach Shanice Stephens (Head Coach of University of North Texas) who I met at the Assistant Coaches Meeting at our convention and has been giving me sound advice as well and has been gracious and is a great motivational speaker, Coach Carmen Houston (Head Girl's Varsity Coach, Martin Luther King) who was my former assistant at Collinwood High School and who keeps an un-biased view of things and we can talk basketball for hours. I must thank Coach Louis Slapnik who is the foundation of my coaching skills and philosophy, I must also thank the legendary Pat Diulus (Head Girl's Varsity Coach at Regina High School) for the advice and opportunity to coach for you and your organization, Coach Timothy Southers (Head Women's Basketball Coach at Culver-Stockton) for providing the blueprint that I needed for the interview segment, although I didn't get the Head job at Lakeland, you've shown me what I needed to do and your advice and kind words will last a lifetime, Coach Booher (Head Women's Coach at Lake Erie College) for the advice and additional points in the art of recruiting and what it takes to succeed at the JUCO level, and last but not least all the players who I have befriended and coached these past 11 years, you all have shaped me in being a better coach and person and I'm proud of each and everyone of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment